Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Memories

OK music on first
Stones in my passway(Robert Johnston)
We were talking the other night about what little memories we had from our childhood. Now, it wasn't the big things like going on holidays or getting a bike for Christmas it was the small things. Things like walking round the corner on a windy day and having your breath taken away when you were hit in the face by a big blast. For the Turnstiles(The Be Good Tanya's)
I will always remember coming home from school and my Grannie having the teapot on with two big, and they were big back then, custard creams waiting, just for her and me.
Pocket money was another great memory. I would have to work for mine just like all my mates. I got two shillings a week , but to get that I had to go to the co-op on a Saturday, with a note of course, to get the groceries. Then I would tidy my room which was always a mess but it was worth it to get the money. For Ever Young(Bob Dylan)
Around the corner from our house there was a big gable wall and that's were we played Hand Ball. My best memory from that was when I beat a lad called Colin, he was one of the Big Boys but I beat him well, then he beat the crap outta me lol. Other games we played were Thunder and Lightning, Kick The Tin, Hunt and of course Football. I was shit at football. The Foggy Dew(Chieftains)
There was an entry(alley way) called the Skinny Entry, so called 'cause, well you can guess why and we used to have a bit of a dare to see how we could go up the wall spider fashion. Of course part of the dare was also to see how far you could drop down.
Well one day we were having a slagging match as to who was the bravest. If you can picture half a dozen 8-10 year old getting on like they were stunt men from the latest John Wayne movie we weren't exactly impressive. Mississippi Bo Weavil Blues(Charlie Patton) Standing there in our short trousers pointing and wagging fingers and squaring up then backing down. It was getting near lunch time and I soon would have to go so I stepped up to the mark and said I would get right to the top, stupid thing to do.
I got into position, back to one wall and feet planted against the other. Salvage a Smile(Laura Veirs) Second stupid thing I did was to look up, it must have been at least a hundred feet to the top, well maybe not quite but nearly, honestly. Up I went one step at a time and I was doing until ok one of the mates shouted up "Hey it's yer Da get down ffs", only one thing to do,' cause my Da had told me not to go near The Skinny again, so I dropped.
Eternal Life(Jeff Buckley) Well on the way down my short trousers, my new ones, caught on a nail sticking out from the wall and the were nearly ripped of me. I was in tears of course but worse than that half my shorts were hanging on the bloody nail and I mean bloody, the fekking thing had gouged my leg as well.
Doctor Roberts(The Beatles) You can imagine the site my Da saw when he arrived to get me for my lunch. When he saw the shorts and my leg, was he sympathetic, was he hell, I got a cuff round the ear that left a ringing in them for hours.
Nobody(Tom Waits)
Needless to say I was grounded.
Anyway these were just some of the little things that I remember from my childhood, there are lots more but instead of reading about mine try remembering some of your own and if you feel like it tell me and I will put them here.
BFN Peeps

No comments:

Post a Comment