Sunday, 18 September 2011

Lizzie

Lizzie Atkinson has done various in her relatively short life, mostly to do with design of some kind or other but it wasn't until I saw her face paintings that I new that she would never be just ordinary. Some of the stuff she does is just amazing.
Never wanting to be pigeon holed she branched out into all areas of the art and design world where she is making her mark in indelible ink.
I could waffle on about her but instead I thought I would let Lizzie tell you herself so I asked her a few questions which she has graceously answered.So read on and learn a bit more about Lizzie.

Hi Lizzie, I think we'll just dive right in
"Helllooo Ivan ok, go for it"

 Tell me what is your educational background?
"I left school at 16 after doing my GCSEs and went to tech in Belfast to study some ALevels. Did a further year in tech studying foundation Art, which then led to starting University of Ulster and dropping out after a few weeks. University just isnt for me."



In that case what is your perception of art?
"Something that expresses a message, feeling, viewpoint. Bringing whats in your head to the outside world.".

What would you  call what you do, would you say it was art?
"Yeah i suppose I do, especially the more bespoke jobs as you get to let your creativity and imagination roam".

Who or what has been your inspiration?
"My main inspiration that is always with me comes from books and films. I am a HUGE movie geek and am a bit obsessed with SFX, make -up for screen and costume. This started off when I was around 13 when I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and nerded out over the demons and vampires. It then continued with fantasy and Sci-fi/futuristic films and has slowly spiraled out of control... a hefty proportion of my wages goes on buying DVDs lol.


Other face painters that inspire me are the Wolfe Brothers, also known as Evil Twin FX. These guys Nick and Brian Wolfe, started out in the prosthetics department at Universal Studios, and their work is definitely something else."
http://www.eviltwinfx.com/

Whats with the hair?
"Haha, what's with this question?! I'm a Leo, so I guess I have to have lion hair. In the words of Amy Winehouse "The more insecure I feel, the bigger my hair gets!"

Do you label yourself?
"I used to when I was growing up but I think that is something you do when you feel like you don't really fit in anywhere. Now, I don't really care and I realise that things like that don't matter and the more you pigeonhole yourself the harder it will be to find out who you really are."

Can you explain a bit about SpeKtrum Arts and why did you start it?

 "Spektrum Arts is a small carnival arts business I started - after working for various bigger entertainment organisations as a face painter,
I realised that the people running these organisations had no interest in the quality of the painting carried out by it's staff and they had no passion for the work.
After realising I had a lot more interest and ambition in the work I was doing than my colleagues  I decided to go it alone. I became fully professional and now strive to enhance the standards of face painting in Northern Ireland, where, sadly they are a lot lower than in the rest of theUK."



I hear you have worked with film companies, what was your involvement?
"Mostly Art" Department work. I was working for HBO as a costume armourer on the TV series Game of Thrones which meant that I was working in the metalwork department assembling suits of armour and helmets for the warriors. I was also working in the art department for a BBC production called The Man who Crossed Hitler, which meant doing a bit of everything really - sewing curtains, upholstery, painting and aging sets, set dressing, souricing  fabrics etc - hard work but well worth it when you get to see your creations on the big screen. I've also been involved in a few local short films and music videos - I am working on one at the minute for a local band called Darkest Era, but it's top secret. 8-)"
 


I have seen some of your work, why face painting?
"I remember being painted as a glittery tropical sunset with palm trees, birds, a huge orange sun and some jumping dolphins, by an amazing face painter in Butlins when I was about 8 years old and never wanting to wash it off my face. I love being able to pass this on to kids that I paint and seeing their faces light up when I hold up the mirror for them when I am done"

Do you do any other kind of painting?
"I don't really after leaving art college a little disillusioned but I do enjoy the odd dabble with the paints. I still sketch and enjoy a lot of crafts - I do a lot of sewing in my free time."

What do your parents & sis think of your work?
"I think my parents are just happy that I am out doing something that I really love, plus they are first to hear about any interesting events coming up in the city that I have been asked to paint at. My sister loves it as she gets to be my model."

What are your plans for the future?
"I'd love to expand Spektrum Arts into a theatrical and carnival arts company - get working on costumes and make up for community art events, that kind of thing. I'm happy with the way things are going at the minute, it's fun watching something you have put a lot of work into grow!

What is your favourite type of work?
"Facepainting wise? I dot know how to answer this one lol"

Well Lizzie thanks for taking the time to do this for me and I hope things just get better and better for you.
Although I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment